Thanksgiving Fruit Crisp
- 2 lbs blueberries or ~6 pieces of stone fruit
- ¼ c granulated sugar (more if fruit is tart)
- Zest of a lemon
- Juice of half a lemon
- ¾ c quick-cook oats
- ½ c flour
- ½ c shredded coconut
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- a few grinds of nutmeg
- 1/3 c brown sugar
- ½ c unsalted butter, cut into small cubes
- Vanilla bean ice cream (for serving)
Equipment & Fuel
- Royal Oak® 100% All Natural Hardwood Lump Charcoal
- Royal Oak® Tumbleweeds Natural Fire Starters
- Charcoal Grill
- Deep dish pie plate
- 2 mixing bowls
- Pastry cutter
- Light half a charcoal chimney with Royal Oak Charcoal and heat smoker to 350 degrees.
- Lightly grease a ceramic deep-dish pie plate.
- Wash, slice (and peel, if preferred) enough fruit to nearly fill your baking dish –typically ~4 to 6 good-sized apples or peaches or roughly 2 lbs of blueberries.
- Put fruit in a medium bowl; stir in granulated sugar, zest, and lemon juice. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, mix together the remaining ingredients (except butter) for the crisp topping. Cut in the unsalted butter with a pastry cutter until mixture is rather crumbly (it will not hold together).
- Fill prepared baking dish with the fruit. Spoon the crumble mixture on top. Smoke ~35 minutes or until top is brown and fruit bubbles. Let cool.
- To keep the crisp, serve on top of (not underneath) vanilla bean ice cream.