Grilled Romaine Salad with Honey Balsamic Dressing
Have you ever tried romaine lettuce on the grill?! The edges of the lettuce get nice and charred, while the center becomes slightly soft yet still has a hint of the crunch that you typically get from a salad. Romaine lettuce contains some natural sugars inside that are released when you grill it. Combine the slightly caramelized greens with something as simple as grated cheese, and the results of this combination are as wonderful as they are crazy! Try it!
¾ cup/180 ml olive oil
¼ cup/60 ml good balsamic vinegar
2 tbsp/30 ml honey
½ tsp minced garlic
½ tsp fresh cracked pepper
2 heads romaine lettuce washed and cut in half
Salt and pepper to taste
½ cup/120 ml freshly grated parmesan cheese
1. To make the honey balsamic vinaigrette, mix ½ cup/120 ml olive oil, and the vinegar, honey, garlic, and cracked pepper together, then store in the fridge until ready to use.
2. Set up your grill for direct cooking. Remember, when spreading the charcoal out in the bottom of the grill, you should have a nice even layer of hot coals. Set your top and bottom vents so you get a dome temperature of approximately 400°F/204°C. Lump charcoal or briquettes are fine for this recipe.
3. Take the 4 halves of romaine and lightly drizzle ¼ cup/60 ml olive on the cut side. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
4. Place the lettuce onto the grill. Grill for 1 ½–2 minutes per side. The lettuce will cook quickly, so you want to check the underside. Watch for a nice char, but don’t let the lettuce burn. Flip and repeat for the other side.
5. Remove the romaine lettuce from the grill and roughly chop into bite-size pieces. Place into a large bowl and toss with the honey balsamic dressing and about half of the parmesan cheese. When incorporated, sprinkle the remaining cheese on the top.
Courtesy of: Royal Oak BBQ Team Smokin’ Hoggz