Smoked Meatless Stuffed Mushrooms
1. Preheat smoker or cooking method to approximately 300-325F.
2. Remove stems from mushroom caps and set them aside. Discard heavily bruised caps or thick, fibrous stems. Caps that are not able to be stuffed but are in good condition may be placed with the stems.
3. Fill a large bowl with clean water and tumble mushroom caps thru water (don’t allow them to soak). Gently scrub caps in water to loosen dirt. Remove from water and set aside. Empty water pan and repeat cycle until mushrooms are cleaned to preference.
4. Repeat the process with mushroom stems.
5. Apply nonstick spray or oil to the bottom of the baking pan. Place mushrooms in the pan, top side down.
6. Mince mushroom stems by hand or using a food processor until about the size of a grain of rice. Dump into a large mixing bowl.
7. Mince parmesan cheese until similar size as mushroom stems. Dump into a large mixing bowl.
8. Mince garlic cloves and dump them into a large mixing bowl.
9. Pour in melted butter into a large mixing bowl and toss the mixture by hand to avoid clumping.
10. Once combined mix in seasoning. Followed by 12oz of panko. Add more Panko need to get an even ratio of stems to panko mixture. The mixture should have the consistency of cooked rice and should be wet enough to hold form but still soft and fluffy. Adjust seasonings as needed. Set mixture aside.
11. Apply 1-2 drops of bloody mary seasoning to the inside of each mushroom cap.
12. Scoop mushroom stem mixture into mushroom cap using a small cookie scoop or by hand. The goal is equal amounts of mixture to mushroom cap size.
13. Add 1 tablespoon of water to the bottom of the pan to promote steam while cooking.Cook mushrooms (uncovered) for 35-45 minutes or the internal temperature is 140F. Lower temps for longer periods will allow for a smokier flavor depending on the cooking device.
14. Remove mushrooms from the oven and enjoy!