Tandoori Chicken Drumsticks
Tandoori Chicken is marinated in Greek Yogurt, lemon juice, and spices. It gives a smoky flavor from the charcoal and smoked paprika, combined with an earthy flavor from all the spices. You can't forget the gentle kick from the cayenne pepper that makes the recipe a perfect holiday dish. These standout flavors definitely won't disappoint.
1 pack Chicken Drumsticks (14 pcs average) skin on.
3 TBSP olive oil
1 1/2 teaspoon ground Tumeric
1 1/2 teaspoon ground Cumin
1 1/2 teaspoon ground Coriander
1 1/2 TBSP Garam Masala
1 1/2 teaspoon Achiote paste or powder (optional) gives a nutty flavor
1 1/2 teaspoon ground Cinnamon
1 1/2 teaspoon Smoked Paprika
1 1/2 teaspoon cayenne
2 cups Greek Yogurt Plain
2 TBSP Lemon Juice
4 minced Garlic Cloves
2 TBSP minced fresh Ginger
1 teaspoon salt
Royal Oak Hardwood Lump Charcoal
Royal Oak All Natural Tumbleweeds
1. Heat the Olive oil in a small pan over medium heat, then toss in the spices; Turmeric, Cumin, Coriander, Garam Masala, Achiote, Cinnamon, Paprika, Cayenne. Stir often, about 2 minutes. (until fragrant) than let it cool. This heating step will make the flavor pop more.
2. In a large bowl, whisk Yogurt with the cooled spice mixture. Then mix in the lemon juice, Garlic, Ginger, Salt.
3. Toss the Chicken Drumsticks in the marinade and coat thoroughly, cover and chill for 8 hours. (at least 3 hours and no more than 8 hours, or chicken may get too tender and fall apart)
4. Prepare Grill with Royal Oak Hardwood Lump Charcoal for a hot clean heat, and smoky subtle taste only Royal Oak Charcoal can give you. Place coals on one side of the grill so you can have a hot side and cooler side for indirect heating.
5. Shake off excess marinade from Chicken Drumsticks and place it on the cooler side of the grill for indirect heating. Close the lid of your grill and cook for about 30 minutes or longer depending on how big the pieces are. Once temperature reaches 165F, move the Chicken Drumsticks to the hotter side for direct heating for about 2 minutes per side. This will give it a nice Char and Flavor we love in Tandoori Chicken.
6. Let it rest for a 2-3 minutes before serving. You can serve it with rice, salad. Enjoy!
Courtesy of: Victor Perez of Super Skewers