Grilled Shrimp Cocktail
We are very familiar with the traditional shrimp cocktail, which is served cold. Well, this one is grilled, and it’s served hot with an incredible cocktail sauce that has just a hint of heat. This recipe will teach you how to grill shrimp to perfection each and every time.
1 cup/240 ml ketchup
¼ cup/60 ml prepared horseradish
2 tsp/10 ml Worcestershire sauce
1 tbsp/15 ml hot sauce
½ tsp salt
¼ tsp pepper
1 lb/450 g uncooked shrimp, 12–16 lb/5.4–7.2 kg, peeled and deveined
5–6 wooden or metal skewers
Smokin’ Hoggz Smokey Apple Wood Rub (or your favorite seafood seasoning)
1. To make the cocktail sauce, mix the ketchup, horseradish, Worcestershire sauce, hot sauce, salt and pepper, and store in an airtight container in the fridge until ready to use.
2. Set up your grill for direct cooking, using lump charcoal (page xx). When spreading the charcoal out in the bottom of the grill, remember to create a nice even layer of hot coals to help prevent hot spots. Adjust your top and bottom vents so you get a dome temperature of approximately 400°F/204°C.
3. Take the shrimp one by one and slide them on to the skewers. Typically, you should be able to get 4–5 shrimp per skewer. Season both sides of the shrimp with the rub or seasoning.
4. Place the shrimp skewers on the grill grates, cover and cook for 2 minutes. Remove the lid, flip skewers, cover and cook for an additional 2 minutes. Shrimp cook very fast and in the blink of an eye can be overcooked very easily. You’ll want to cook them just until the shells turn pink and the shrimp are opaque.
5. Remove the shrimp from the grill and serve with cocktail sauce.
Courtesy of: Royal Oak BBQ Team Smokin’ Hoggz