Malcom Reed’s Smoked Picanha
1 whole picanha roast 3-4lbs
2 Tablespoons rubs of choice
- Prepare Drum smoker or other pit for indirect cooking at 275°F.
- Remove picanha roast from packaging and trim away sinew or silver skin from the meat side. Score the fat side using a sharp knife: make shallow cuts across the fat in one direction spacing the cuts about 1” apart; then make the same shallow cuts in the opposite direction.
- Season the picanha with rub on all sides.
- Place it on the pit fat side down and insert a probe thermometer into the thickest portion to monitor internal temp.
- Remove from the pit once the internal temperature reaches 122-125°F.
- Rest the picanha loosely covered in foil for 10-15 before slicing against the grain.