Thanksgiving Smoked Sweet Potato Pie
- 2 large sweet potatoes
- Box of pie crust (2 crusts are needed)
- 2 sticks of butter
- 3 eggs (2 for the pie and 1 for the egg wash)
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 1.5 TBS cinnamon
- 1 tsp allspice
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1 TBS water (for the egg wash)
Equipment & Fuel
- Cut sweet potatoes in half and poke holes with a fork. Place a stick of butter in a half pan with the sweet potatoes.
- Let them cook on the smoker for an hour or until tender.
- Brown a stick of butter in a pan.
- Place the pie crust on the smoker to brown lightly. Then remove from the smoker.
- Spoon the sweet potatoes and add in the brown butter, brown sugar, white sugar, flour and spices. Mix.
- Add wet ingredients (except for 1 egg and 1 TBS of water that will be saved for the egg wash). Mix.
- Pour the batter into the pie crust. Take additional pie crust and make shapes with cutters or stamps. Dip the edges in egg wash to stick to the pie crust.
- Smoke at 350 for 50 to 55 minutes, checking every 20 minutes. The pie should be set around the edges with the crust a light golden brown and slightly jiggly in the middle. Allow the pie to cool.
- Serve with whipped cream or ice cream. Enjoy!