Thanksgiving Turkey Breast
- 1 boneless skinless turkey breast
- Oak Ridge BBQ Game Changer Brine and Injection
- Elk Creek Hog Knuckle rub
- Elk Creek Texas Red rub
- Blues Hog Beef Marinade
- Tillmans BBQ Sauce – Competition Brew
- 1/2 lb Butter
- 48oz Water
- 3/4 Cups Game Changer Brine & Injection
- 3 Tbs Hog Knuckle rub
- 3 Tbs Texas Red rub
- 16oz Water
- 3 Tbs Game Changer Brine & Injection
- 1 Tbs Beef Marinade
Equipment & Fuel
- Trim the turkey breast so that it is symmetrical and there aren’t any bits that might burn off. The idea here is to shape the lobe so that it is essentially the same thickness, this will ensure even cooking.
- Inject the turkey breast with as much injection as it will accept. Breasts on the smaller side may not use all of the injection. We usually end up using about 1/2 to 3/4 of the injection.
- Submerge turkey breast in brine and refrigerate for 2 hrs.
- Heat your smoker to 300° we just burn straight Royal Oak Charcoal.
- Remove Turkey from brine, rinse and season liberally with equal parts of the Hog Knuckle rub and the Texas Red rub.
- Once the smoker is up to temp, add your turkey and let it ride. For about an hour or until your turkey passes the scratch test. What is the scratch test, when you touch the top of the turkey with your finger none of the rub should come off.
- After the rub has set up on your turkey breast quarter the 1/2 lb of butter, 2 sticks into a 1/2 sheet pan and place turkey breast on top. Wrap pan with aluminum foil and put back on smoker.
- Cook turkey until it reaches an internal of 191 about 30min. The important part is rest. Do Not slice immediately, sit it on the counter wrapped up for at least an hour.
- Remove Turkey from its butter bath, brush a little of the warmed Tillmans BBQ sauce and place back on the smoker for a few minutes to set.
- After the sauce has set slice against the Grain and enjoy!