Megan Day’s Beet Salad
6 to 8 small beets with greens
2 Tbsp. of unsalted butter
Burnt Finger BBQ’s Smokey KC Rub
2 tsp. of vinegar
Bag of Spring mix salad leaves
2 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
1 Tbsp. White wine vinegar
Your favorite hard cheese such as Parmesan, Manchego, or Grana Padano
1. Light the pit with a bed of hot charcoals.
2. Clean the beets, snip, and save the greens.
3. Fold two large pieces of foil in half to form a double layer. Place the greens, beets, rosemary, and butter on top of the foil. Sprinkle with Smokey KC rub.
4. Fold the edges up and twist one end together.
5. Pour vinegar into the remaining open end and then twist that end shut.
6. Poke the foil a few times to allow some smoke to get inside and flavor the beets.
7. Carefully bury your foil packages among the coals, even with a few coals on top.
8. Let the foil packets cook for 30 to 40 minutes in the coals.
9. Poke the beets to see if they are tender, then remove the package and allow it to cool before fully unwrapping.
10. Remove the beets and discard packet contents.
11. Once cooled down, peel the beets by gently scraping the charred skin away.
12. Cut the beets chunks and set them aside.
13. In your salad bowl, pour 2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil, and 1 tablespoon of white wine vinegar, and season with salt and pepper. Whisk in the bowl. Spread salad in the bowl and toss the leaves to glaze them.
14. To serve, divide the dressed salad between four salad plates and top each plate with the beets and some shavings of your favorite hard cheese.